
Although Deadline December is breathing down my neck, I indulged in a little selfish sewing. I had cut out my next Vogue 8728 for Frocktober from a venerable Liberty Tana Lawn and was itching to sew it all through Not-for-me-November.
I like it, but not as much as my grey linen version.
The Liberty lawn is wonderful to sew, and beautifully cool to wear, but I think my younger self was more enthralled with getting Liberty for a bargain price (Lincraft Brisbane City selling off all their Liberty stock - so you can tell how old it is!) than the actual print.
I have used this print before. I rather foolishly made myself a luxurious loose front buttoning blouse as a nursing top. When this became inedibly (and inevitably) stained, the shirt was very young, so I kept the unstained back the sleeves for a future project, along with the metre and a half of unused fabric. This is why the print of this dress is upside down - I had to use the blouse pieces upside down to fit in the width of the cut on almost sleeves at the back.
I made a few small changes to this version of the pattern.
The deliberate change was to underline the waistband with cotton organdy. A non deliberate change was that I somehow seem to have enlarged the vertical dimensions of the waist at the same time, leading to billowing, which is not present in the grey linen version.

Naturally I only discovered this enlargement after I had piped the waistband and inserted the invisible zipper - another deliberate change (I loved Sherry's piped waistline detail in her 50's red spotty frock). Next time I will be measuring this section twice. This time I am just leaving it because no one will notice except for all the sewing blog readers ;)
January Jones eat your heart out. Your dress is perfect for you and I particularly like the piping at the waistline. Well done you!
ReplyDeleteA gorgeous print, and a very very pretty dress! Perfectly lovely!
ReplyDeleteVery pretty! And that blue wall is fabulous. Great picture spot.
ReplyDeleteThe dress is lovely. I particularly like the details you add, that piping is beautiful.
ReplyDeleteI really love this romantic version of this dress on you! However most gathered-skirt-dresses i see look rather bulky and unflattering. But yours are always a winner.
ReplyDeleteIs there a trick how you keep them pretty? For example choose of fabric, amount of gathers, pressing etc.?
This is so so pretty, and looks very flattering on you!
ReplyDeleteI wonder if the piping has taken out some width (cloth allowance and all that) and is forcing the bust seam to sit slightly lower?
Oh, and I don't notice any upside down print at all!
so lovely - and such a great design for you. So pleased your liberty made it out of stash. I'm still sewing from that deceased estate sale and it is a travesty all that fabric never got its day.
ReplyDeleteSpeaking of not getting its day, I am thrilled to see you found a way to upcycle (actually I hate that word but well, hey it does have a use) your daughter's smocked dress. Now it would be a real travesty to let a good piece of smocking unworn.
Actually it's quite amazing how the dress is essentially still the same but with a few simple details is transformed. It just goes to show the power of the little things to either lift, or kill, a basic shape.
It's a really pretty dress. I love the print and the style.
ReplyDeleteThis is the loveliest dress, and perfect for you. I love the fabric and the piping, too. You tempt me to search for the pattern, but my practical side knows it wouldn't look the same on me (:
ReplyDeleteA pretty girly dress. I really like the piping.
ReplyDeleteThank you for your comments on my dress.
another beautiful rendition of this pattern - I love it but unfortunately this pattern would not suit me ( I am a so called sunken treasure in the upper department. ) Sewing with tana lawn is such a delight isn`t it.
ReplyDeleteSuch a pretty pretty dress against that blue background especially!
ReplyDelete