The last time my SIL was looking through my smocking magazines, this dress was one she picked out as a favourite for her daughter (niece youngest-but-one). It is " Sunshine" from Australian Smocking and Embroidery Issue #60, made up in size 18 months.
I have used a combination of quilting cottons for my version, which will be part of my neice's Christmas present. I think the name "Sunshine" led me to these hot, summery colours.
I am not sure if you can see in the photograph, but the main yellow print has daisies in different shades of yellow. I used my own smocking design for this project, using very simple stitches to make the smocking easy and suitable as a handbag project. Like the magazine version, I used the print as inspiration for the smocking.
I used a variagated yellow DMC embroidery floss for the diamond smocking background, then a red from the distorted grid print for the accent wave and trellis hearts. The bottom row of the smocking is emphasised with the same red, and also the shade of orange used in the matching bloomers. This orange fabric is also used for the piping. I have added a few lazy daisies in the red and orange, with blue centres and a bright green leaf and stem for contrast.
I found the construction of this set rather time consuming. Partly this is my fault, as I was practicing with my rolled hem foot again,and making several mistakes, but the instructions also call for a lot of handsewing, and the ruffle is over 3metres long. It looks pretty, but I was thinking seriously about a ruffling foot about half way through. The shoulder pieces do not look buckled when the garment is hung up, I just don't think this top likes to lie flat.