Still no camping. Instead I sewed a dress that has been on my mental list for about 12 months, what a terrible, tough time I am having :)!
The pattern is Simplicity 3774. I first made this dress 2 years ago, as a Christmas dress to wear to my sister's. I liked it so much, that I straight away made another one with sleeves. The version with sleeves wore out, and the sleeveless version is now at house-dress only status, so I wanted to replace them, as I always felt good in the previous dresses from the pattern, and as I recalled, it fit well with only minor adjustments.
Last year I bought some print eyelet fabric that I really like from Fashionista Fabrics. I bought just enough, as it ended up about $AUS18 per metre, and am quite amazed that I have actually made the exact garment for which I purchased the fabric. (I just looked at Melody's site, and she still has some of this, and it is now on sale :(. Maybe I need some more for a blouse...
Unfortunately, this dress was not a smooth sailing project. First was my fault. I had a day of indecision. I had originally planned to fully line the dress with a light olive -green voile, but as this would have used up my last piece of this fabric, decided that I would rather save it for a possible blouse. Instead I used a peachy silk/cotton voile that I bought at Greenfield's in Sydney. It took me about 2 hours to decide on this, mostly because the eyelets in the outer fabric show the lining, and I had to keep holding up different fabrics to look at the effect. Having plenty of time for sewing seems to slow me down.
My next indecision involved piping. I made some variagated red piping, but then thought that as my green voile was such a good match, that this would look better (also, I had used the red piping on my previous version of the dress, and it felt a bit repetitive). I doubled the voile so that the perle cotton filling in the piping would not show through.
After this, I expected easy sewing. I read my review on pattern review (one of my first) and made the fitting adjustments I had mentioned. Unfortunately I had not mentioned raising the neckline, and the dress was too low for my personal comfort level. I then tried 3 different fabrics for the tucker. I am happy with the green voile again. I hope there is enough left for a blouse now.
Other minor issues included two attempts at the zip, and a 3 hour hunt for said zip that involved sorting out half of my fabric cupboard, but I do have some success to report.
I almost managed to make a hem on the lining skirt with my rolled hem foot. Only a few spots failed. I followed Elizabeth's instructions, sewing at the pace of a snail, and can see some light at the end of my rolled hem tunnel. The lining looks quite good with a doubled rolled hem IMO.
I have also cut out some calico for a toile of a Chanel inspired jacket, and am planning some work trousers for my daughter. I am secretly hoping that it rains for days.