I didn't measure twice.
I was merrily sewing away at the BWOF 04-2009-118 trousers, after wasting my time altering RTW and complaining about it at length for the last two posts, when I had the bright idea to try something new.
My daughter gave me Kenneth King's Cool Couture for Christmas, and I fancied his welt pocket over ribbon technique.
It worked beautifully, except for two little self inflicted problems.
1. I failed to understand (or measure, if you like) where in relation to the seamline I should place the edge of my 1/4 inch foot, so after cutting the welt, and the fabric, I had very skinny welts, which did not meet in the middle as welts should.
I felt inspired at this point to pretend that I had intended this effect, and inserted a zipper into the gap,(securing the raw short ends inside to grosgrain ribbon) for an exposed zip application.
I felt quite clever, until I tried on the trousers, which brings me to problem number
2. I failed to measure the length of the welt correctly, and it is just too long, creating a visual impression of increased backside width. This is not an effect I require, being amply supplied with backside width as a natural figure characteristic.
For some reason, after trying on the trousers, I now feel quite uninspired to hem them, and have instead cut out another pair of trousers, whilst the original pair is lying crumpled on the table looking at me reproachfully.
That would make 2 Saturdays of sewing with no new trousers for me. I might just make a blouse instead.