Today I am taking Uta's advice (again) and trying more contrast for my neutrals. The trousers are BWOF 4-2009-118 in the brown version (repeat) and the blouse is new, McCalls 5522, in a pink, brown and cream print that looks neutral (and washed out in all photos) Hmmm. Some clothes are just not photogenic. I quite like this blouse anyway.
I think the contrast gives me a better outfit. Thanks Uta!
I have made this blouse before (review here)- but for my daughter, which is an entirely different experience. I require considerably more fitting.
This version is my trial of this pattern, which replaces a toile for me when I make a blouse. The fabric is a quilting cotton.
Prior to construction I made a square shoulder adjustment, took in the waist, and folded out a small dart in each of the lower back pieces for a sway back adjustment. I also added 1cm vertically to the lower back central panel,tapering to the hem as I had needed to add a gore here for my daughter. I narrowed the collar stand by 1cm, as I had found it too wide for my daughter. This pattern already has separate bodice pieces for different cup sizes, so I did not need to do a FBA.
I fancied some subtle embellishment, so piped the collar stand and button bands. I also made short sleeves from the plain, non gathered long sleeve version.
Post construction adjustments included:
1.Taking 2cm from the horizontal empire seam at the front, and 3cm at the back. I could probably afford to shorten the pattern a bit more here.
2.Taking in the side seams by 2cm. The ease is generous
3. I would have liked to shorten the blouse slightly, as I do not like it at all when worn tucked in. However, I finished the piped front button band by sewing the facing across the bottom of the band, turning it inside out, then hand sewing both fronts and the collar band of the facing, and I am too lazy to repeat this (and to try mending the bottom buttonhole which would then be in a funny position)
4. I will probably make more of a sway back adjustment for my next version.