Every time we have extremely hot, humid weather, I do not seem to have suitable clothes. This may because any clothes feel far too warm, but is probably because there are weeks and weeks of this weather every year, and the clothes are not only lightweight, but worn and washed to death in a short time.
Last year, I threw out a voile version of McCalls 5177, after it ripped right up the back with fabric fatigue. As soon as the hot weather started this Summer I missed this dress a lot, so have made a replica version in quilting cotton, lined with cotton batiste at the bodice.
It is not quite as good as the last one. I did not read my fitting notes from my previous versions, because I thought I remembered them. I was wrong. Voile version here, linen smocked version here
I used piping in the bodice seams, so could not make fitting changes post construction. This meant that I had to fiddle quite a bit to prevent underwear display. I shirred the centre front. I should have started with a smaller bodice size. It is also a little heavier to wear, not being voile, but this is a self inflicted problem.
Next I will make something in voile, and will aim for handwashing only....