Monday 20 December 2010

Presents for Nieces, Simplicity 9652

I am not doing very much Christmas present sewing, due to time pressure, but after the very pretty lace bolero I was knitting for my 10 year old niece turned out to be a little too large for my 13 year old daughter, it suddenly occurred to me that A) Sewing is faster than knitting and B) It is possible to buy most of a Christmas present, and just slip a little hand made something in to the parcel in order to keep the nieces addiction to custom clothing alive. I have been receiving a few hints lately, which is rather flattering.

Simplicity 9652 to the rescue.

SAM_2942
This pattern must be out of print. A neighbour gave it to me about 6 years ago, as part of her moving house clear out. I had not made it before, but the apron-like top is a very good style for a child in our hot climate.

Simplicity 9652

I made 3 versions of view D, with adjustable straps at the back, for my nieces aged 6, 9 and 10.

SAM_2941
They live too far away for me to measure them for fitted garments. (My sister's many talents do not include accurate measuring for sewing purposes)
I used different cotton prints, and trims, to provide variation, whilst sneaking in some sisterly co-ordination for summer holiday photographs. These nieces live in Melbourne, where they might wear a top like this only a few times each Summer, but they are visiting us for a fortnight in January, so will need some hot weather clothes. I am looking forward to seeing them, even if they aren't wearing my sewing.

10 comments:

Victoria said...

Great gifts---those tops are super cute!!!!

katherine h said...

What great little summer tops! They'll be wearing them every day when they visit you, I am sure!

ACorgiHouse said...

Adorable, and look so inviting given our ice/snow and below freezing temps for over two weeks now. Gaahh.. K

Anonymous said...

Very very cute. I like the rick-rack on the purple top. I've just done a rick-racked dress that I really like. My daughter hates it on principle (she's back to not liking anything I make, knowing that it winds me up...) I think nieces must be easier

SewRuthie said...

Oh pretty summer tops!

Gay McDonell said...

cute cute cute

Mary Nanna said...

Nice tops - surely in Melbourne they'll get to wear those heaps? I thought Melbourne roasted in summer?? At any rate, all they'll need is a nice cardy over the top and they can get plenty of wear out of them.

We are having very hot weather here too - you could certainly wear those tops here at the moment - the only problem is the air conditioning - outside you're sweet inside your freeze. Because our winters are cold enough to justify heat pumps more and more people use the reverse cycle in summer so it's not uncommon to go into air conditioned homes in summer now. (Like ours, cripes as a child I grew up in a town which is so cold in summer you can still wear winter wools! I could never ever imagine living in a place where you had to cool your house in summer!)

The Slapdash Sewist said...

Such a cute little set of tops!

velosews said...

Gosh they're lucky girls. Each piece is really sweet to look at.

Gail said...

Sweet tops! You are a very nice aunty.