I have a weakness for very expensive athletic wear. This is not due to any athleticism on my part, but an unreasonable fondness for technical fabrics in even my sedate exercise programme. Nylon lycra from Spotlight does not quite do the job.
Due to this weakness, I recently recieved a parcel from Mill Direct Textiles (Malden Mills), with some wicking Poly/Nylon outer, velour inner Polartec Power Stretch 9401, that was intended to make me some long running gear.
This minor project resulted in heartfelt pleas from the teenage fashion panel concerning their cold legs, and an upcoming cycling tour - inland, and at ungodly hours of the morning. (Did I mention that we share the house with a cycling fanatic?)
My pair, from the deservedly popular Jalie "yoga pants" pattern 2215, has added front pockets with exposed zips.
This was such a fiddly thing to add to the pattern that my daughters' pairs have internal, hold-your-change-and-a-key only waistband pockets instead, zipless.
I swapped the sewing for a photo subject. 16 year old girls look better in these legging type trousers than their mothers - at least in this family.
The fabric is very nice indeed. The outside is firm but stretchy, without shininess, and also thick and smoothing to the middle aged figure. The inner surface of the fabric is a luscious velour. It was worth every penny of the considerable total.
I did not waste any of the fabric.
Here is a kindle cover for my husband (that zipper tag was stolen from my trousers once I realised I wouldn't be on the cycling trip this weekend, and that the kindle would)
To use up the very last scraps I made a size G pair, which allegedly fit a 3 year old girl.
I did not really fancy the plain black for such a small person, so added a flower to one leg. The flower is appliqued polar fleece, and there is machine embroidery in 3 colours to embellish the applique and make a stem. I like it better in real life. The recipient has bright red hair, and I plan to make her a purple polar fleece jacket to co-ordinate with the flower because I like matchy-matchy.
I made a few small changes to the pattern, the top of the trousers is raised closer to the waist, and the 3 smaller pairs are faced at the waistband with a contrast cotton-lycra knit.
Despite the value in production sewing, I am ready to do something a bit more challenging. Unfortunately, not only am I a bit unwell, but our tax year has just finished, making my work load quite unreasonable. Maybe I will have the energy to sew a pillowcase or something of similar difficulty..... I hope to improve the interest level of my sewing before too long, wish me luck!