A few days ago I displayed a photo of post-creative mess. I spent today making clothes from the fabric painting/stamping/stencilling.
Here is my attempt at fabric embellishment. I think I have a winner here with my stamped and painted frog and embroidered insect combination (don't tell anyone I was covering up the smudges with my insects)- provided the judge is a 9 year old boy.
The pattern is BWOF 09-2008-144. If you have seen this pattern you would know that A. It is not a t shirt and B it is not for knits. Due to some strange oversight, I do not seem to possess a pattern for a boy's t shirt in size 9 year old . This astounds me, but 1 hour of research in my extensive collection did not turn up anything . The pattern is for a sort of woven "cossak shirt". I have shortened it, widened it and added a contrast colour to lengthen the sleeves and body due to earlier inadequacies in cutting out the piece for embellishment. I tried out the pattern first in a sleeveless version with the boy's fabric embellishment. He said he would like pyjama tops, sleeveless.
Done. No doubt it is good for me to practice using my coverstitch.
To be honest, I was not too worried about the above projects. My son would not be bothered if I wrecked his fabric stamping.
However, my younger daughter made some fabulous efforts, with which she was very pleased, and whilst making her t shirts, I was quite anxious that I not damage her work. This was much more nerve wracking than cutting out $45 per metre boucle.
Naturally, this meant that I cut a hole in her t shirt whilst trimming the neck binding. I should have looked a bit harder for the duck billed scissors.
Fortunately, it was on the less favoured t shirt, at the unembellished back, and I covered it up. She hates this, but tells me kindly that no -one will see my applique, as she will always wear this t shirt with her hair loose, to cover it up.
I think it is a pity that this will cover the nice back v neck of Ottobre 02-2011-1
I have made a size larger for her than last time, as this fabric is a cotton-lycra, rather than the extremely stretchy rayon/lycra I used previously. This was the first version where the back neck feature actually worked.
Here is her most favoured embellishment attempt. The sleeves of this t shirt are from Ottobre 02-2011-107, but the body is the same #1 as made previously. I love how the Ottobre sleeves are interchangable. You can't see here the bodies and antennae of the black butterflies, which are white sparkly puff paint. She had fun with this.
Next week, I plan to sew something for myself.