I sat down last night with the dubious dress from the last post, and thought quite hard about deepening the neckline, adding a stay, shortening the skirt and unpicking the waistband to add a new, contrast colour belt. I am very appreciative of this good advice, please don't think I took no notice, but I am a weak woman.
Thinking about doing it was rather exhausting, and lasted about 5 minutes. I put the dress in maybe later pile (AKA the wardrobe) and got out an elephant stamped piece of knit fabric instead.
It was much quicker than retrofitting, I'm sure :).
I embroidered around the elephant with stem stitch, varying between two and three strands for different emphasis, and left some thread ends for the tail.
Then I sewed it into a t shirt, using the boy's woven cossak shirt pattern from BWOF
09-2008 again, coverstitching at neck and hems in pale grey elephant colour thread. The fabric is a nice medium weight cotton/lycra knit.
Unfortunately the elephant had wandered a little off centre during the sewing process (I was rather tired). I added some flattened grass at the rear, and a little upstanding grass to the front to explain the wandering.
I am quite pleased with it, but the boy would not model the t shirt. I hope this means that he does not like modelling, rather than meaning he does not like the t shirt.