Sunday 29 April 2012

Miss Fisher's silk pyjama trousers

When there is an open invitation to a party in a different time zone, turning up at the right time can be a bit awkward. I gather from Karen's post that everyone will be up late chatting and eating popcorn, so I am hoping that any time before midnight GMT will mean that I don't miss out.
 I have been re-reading Kerry Greenwood's Miss Fisher series, whilst watching the ABC series with my daughters, so considering that there is a literary sub-theme to this party, have made Miss Fisher worthy pjyamas.
 SAM_1238
 I enjoy these books for their escapist plots, the triumph of good over evil, just right for bed-time reading, and the delightful characters, with the added bonus of detailed descriptions of 1920's clothing. In the television series, the costuming is fabulous. However, I am very glad that I own the original print issue of the books, as I much prefer the Art Deco illustrations to the new covers.
 My homage to Miss Fisher are silk-satin pyjama trousers ( fabric bought mere weeks ago from The Remnant Warehouse), cut from my standard trouser pattern, but straight up from the hips at the side seams, without darts. SAM_1237
Due to the shaping at the centre seam, this cut makes the trousers too narrow to be pull on, so I have added a gusset at the fly. This construction means that the pyjamas are comfortable, but only slightly gathered at the waist (with my elastic attached to shiny-side-in bias tubes as ties), which is much more flattering for someone with my waist to hip ratio than normal pyjama trousers.
 SAM_1239
 The trousers are constructed with french seams throughout, with a little machine embroidery over the gusset seams, bias binding at the bottom of the gusset, and running stitch by hand at the top of the waist band for a neat edge when the trouser drawstring gathers the waist. The remainder of my Miss Fisher outfit are the gown and nightgown/pyjama top from must-be-out-of -print-by-now New Look 6929. This is a very comfortable outfit, and looks much better than my flannies!

 SAM_1233

17 comments:

Carolyn said...

What gorgeous PJ's!
I love her books too, and I have every one, all with the Art Deco covers. Are the reprints different? I sure hope new releases keep up that beautiful artwork of the originals. Would be a shame to change the look of them

SewRuthie said...

Lovely PJs. Must admit mine are somewhat lacking, and some new ones might be in order.....

Marie said...

I am feeling slightly jealous of your glam night wear - the PJs are gorgeous and sound very comfy too.

Gabrielle said...

These are beautiful luxuriant PJs, and a great idea to link them to the Miss Fisher series :-). I also have the original series with their lovely covers. My usual bookshop has a mixture of the old and new covers, looks like the old is definitely being replaced unfortunately!

PS even though I enjoy the TV series, especially for the clothes, am I the only one that finds Miss Fisher and Lin don't look quite as expected from the books?

karen ball said...

Yes, aren't those book covers fabulous? I love your pjs, too. I'm very jealous of all the luxurious silk versions. I'm going to have to make some silk pjs.

fabric epiphanies said...

I love satin pj's and the colour you have chosen is one of my favourites

JBB said...

Oh what a lovely pyjama,very Art Deco style,in the wold of "The Artist",and the color is glam as possible!i would like to find the same.You are so pretty!

theperfectnose said...

Love Miss Fisher's MM (the ABC version, haven't read the books yet) and your jammies are awesome! BTW can you install disqus please? OpenID doesn't work and not everyone has a Google account. + disqus eliminates the truly hidous recaptcha words of blindyness and blocks spam for you...

http://thperfectnose.wordpress.com

Carol said...

Very, very cute! I'm glad that Gabrielle brought it up: I don't think the characters look as they should. In fact, I think the books have lost a little in the translation. I'm not really enjoying the series as much as some. If you want to see some good art deco costuming and decoration, you should have a look at Stephen Fry and Hugh Laurie in Jeeves and Wooster.

velosews said...

How elegant. Your art deco style is beautiful

Scruffybadger said...

You look the part! I think you are the most glamorous PJ wearer at the party! Adore the gown too.... that is another thing I feel I need to make.....

Summer Flies said...

I love that last photo... very mysterious! I also love the colour of your pj's!

Anonymous said...

Ok, thats it. I'm going to have to hitch up the buggy and drive into the big city for those books and a piece of silk. I love that waist closure- that is way smurfy!

Karin said...

Comfy and glam! Perfect.

Sharon said...

Stunning PJ's and now I need to find the books as I love the TV series.

Steph A said...

oh they're beautiful, the pants AND the top and robe. I love the style lines of the top, it's a classic. I like your idea of using a classic fit pants pattern and how you finished the waist. I think I'll have to add some silk PJs to my list, they look devine.

Sew Sister said...

Lovely Pj's and beautiful in silk...I like your choice of patten. I want it now...