I have a sketch.(by my daughter)
I have fabric, selected by my daughter.
(The green silk duchess satin)
I have instructions - it must include lattice smocking at the bodice, have a full skirt, be fitted at the waist, and include no horizontal seam at the waist.
I need to franken a pattern.
I have, my daughter tells me tonight, 75 days left to finish this dress, and I started 2 weeks ago. So far there are 15 hours of work in this project, most of it in the smocking, and there is very little visual progress (thanks Andrea of Fabric Epiphanies, for this useful term).
These are the patterns we have chosen for frankening purposes.
I made a toile of the Belville Sasson pattern- without the train ;)
The gown has a built in foundation corselet, which is what we really wanted from the pattern, and have done considerable fitting work on this corselet, which will sit under the lattice smocked upper bodice.
I have not tried it with the boning yet, which on further reading may be a major fitting error requiring starting from scratch, but I am optomistic at this point. I have some stiff silk, maybe Matka?or a thick Duponi? with only a few small slubs, originally bought by my grandmother for silk painting, which I think will be the right texture and hand for this type of under structure. This corselet section is project part A. The rest of the outer dress toile is Project part C, currently on hold.
Project part B is the outer upper bodice. I have done some lattice smocking on Irish linen, which has a similar bulk and drape to the silk satin. I have tried some experimental edge finishing - machine rolled hem alone vs rolled hem with raw edged bias organza trim, and a half lattice smocked edge vs smocking finishing one inch from the hem to allow a more flowing ruffle edge.
My plan is to use this smocking for a sundress, similar the Vintage reproduction Vogue pattern,
to trial draping the upper bodice and attaching the smocked fabric to the unsmocked fabric before
This will be slow, but I am enjoying the process - so far.
Making someone else's dream dress is a project with some intrinsic difficulties