Monday, 5 November 2012
Kwik Sew 158, retro swim wear
We interrupt our intense formal sewing activity for other social requirements.
A certain daughter was invited to a pool party, to take place on Friday night, and somehow had failed to consider that her swimming costume had reached a state of disreputableness involving actual holes in the fabric.
There were plans in the pipeline to replace this swim wear, with nylon lycra fabric earmarked for this project purchased in April (Remnant Warehouse), but due to unusual sewing demands in the past few months, the annual September Swimwear project had only got as far as my own togs and a rashie for my son. (I do get to the top of my own list sometimes)
On Thursday, my daughter said she would wear her old swimming costume to the party. This was a threat.
On Friday, after work, I made this swimming costume. My daughter was a bit late getting to the party.
She did mention that the lateness was not ideal, but I mentioned that she was welcome to buy herself a swimming costume at 5pm on a Friday (after which all shops in our town are shut), or indeed at any time before the party, and she became rather quiet on the subject. She also agreed to model the costume, (the next day) which was rather kind of her.
I am not 100% happy with the swimming costume, as my coverstitch stopped working when I introduced it to wooly nylon, and the application of the binding is not stellar.
However, if you don't look closely at the binding, I think this is a terrific looking bikini, and pretty easy to sew, even in a rush. My original, and natural trepedation at making a bikini that was pictured as so awful that the model had to wear a waste paper basket on her head was unfounded.
The bikini is lined with nylon lycra swim wear lining from Strechtex and bound with white cholorban, also from Stretchtex. I used the binding instead of the elastic finish used in the pattern, and the bikini bottom is actually a cut down (lower waist) version of our old favourite Ottobre 02-2011-20, which I used because we know it fits. The Kwik Sew pants do not look great to me, having no gusset and being very straight over the hips, but as I haven't tried them they could be as nicely fitting as the top (adjustments, slight SBA and squaring of shoulders - if I made them again I would shorten the front straps slightly.
There is still some of this fabric left. It is a great pity I still have a second strip of horsehair braid to hand sew to a formal skirt.