Thank you for the kind comments regarding man trousers. I deeply appreciated the affirmation, as I was suffering from sewing exhaustion.
What a relief to get back to something simple, and with flowers!
My daughter came to visit on the weekend, which was very pleasant, and I made her a little top.
This is Burda Style 10-2010-118 without any neck bow. The only adjustments for daughter the first are a slight squaring of the shoulders and a little off the side seams at the waist, which makes it a very quick project.
I finished the neck slash with a folded placket, rather than a facing, and bound the neck with a self fabric bias strip that I extended to make a button loop. This is deliberately set so that the placket is a little open, like a v neck, as it looked too prim and proper fastened with no skin showing below the jewel neckline.
I like it with jeans, but I think it will also work, tucked in, as a work top. The fabric is a metre of cotton print that I bought in 1998 to make her a little Australiana blouse (those are flannel flowers in the print and the fabric is exactly the colour of flannel flower leaves).
I have nothing more to say about this workhorse pattern, so I shall slip in a knitting digression.
This perfect layering piece cardigan is a free pattern by Linda Wiggins,available on Ravelry, Peggy Sue, and took only 5 x 50g balls of 8ply bamboo/wool yarn. I am very pleased with it. It is my first attempt at knitting a top-down cardigan.
I modified the pattern by adding short row shaping for a higher back neck, and added a little width to the centre back when it seemed a bit tight at this point. I also inadvertently added considerable length to the stocking stitch section when I misread the directions and knitted this for 8 and a bit inches instead of 9cm, but I think it still looks fine.
It took a month, which is pretty good for my knitting speed/time allocation.
Stashbusting statistics, 1 metre of fabric, some of my oldest stash cira 1998, but I am quite pleased that this fabric was made into a reasonable approximation of the garment for which it was originally intended ;).