Saturday 25 February 2017

Poinsietta frock from a sari. Vogue 1152

I had a lovely time making this frock. As the gardeners amongst you can tell from the photographs, I made this a little while ago - for a New Year's Eve party in fact. (My neighbours' Poinsietta was especially beautiful this summer)
DSC07725

For me, it hits all the buttons for sewing satisfaction.

1. I adore the fabric.
DSC07707
This fabric is another souvenir from my trip to Sri Lanka. The fabric was woven on a hand loom from fine cotton, and is very slightly translucent. It's a weight somewhere between a lawn and a shirting cotton. Originally it was 6 or so metres of a bright sari, it was essentially colourblocked, in shot orange/red with a purple border, but also had a lime/dark blue-green shot "blouse" section and a blue/yellow/green striped "scarf" section.  The shot orange section came to about 4 metres length of 85cm width, which was ample for my sundress version.
2. I had a tried and true, previously fitted pattern to use
Vogue 1152
Vogue 1152. I've made this twice before. (You can read about my construction changes in the earlier post if you are interested). I wear both the earlier versions frequently, more so the pure cotton version than the silk/cotton batiste, as the lawn is so cool to wear.
I love a shiny new pattern, and trying new patterns is a great joy to me, but there is a great benefit in getting straight to cutting out without all that pesky fitting and the absence of any concern that the finished garment just won't suit me
3. There was ample opportunity for my own twist to the pattern
DSC07731
These are simple changes, but I feel that this dress is unique, and personalised. I've piped the neckline, in addition to the piping of the front waist sections called for by the pattern. I also gave a nod to the original use of this fabric by including the sari's purple border. I applied a modified neckline facing (I drafted the back facing and reshaped the front neckline) to the outside of the garment, which did require some piecing of the border.
4. I took my time and the inside of the dress looks very tidy.
I realise that this is a reflection of my own slightly pathological tendency to obsess over details, but I find it very pleasurable to observe wearer-only elements such as tiny, tidy french seams whilst I'm getting dressed.  This is a very afordable luxury!
The finishing instructions provided in the pattern are unusually good, and I enjoyed watching a movie with my son whilst I did the hand sewing for this project.
5. The dress is a hard working addition to my wardrobe
 The finished garment is comfortable to wear, I feel good in it, and I've already worn it frequently.
Next up, a new-to-me pattern that reminds me that sewing is a constant learning experience.
DSC07724

6 comments:

SewRuthie said...

Lovely dress and great use of a holiday souvenir.

Sew, Jean Margaret said...

You have indeed created a beautiful personalised dress. Excellent use of your precious fabric. It is always well worth the effort of creating neat insides too, as you will always see them, even if no one else will.

Janine said...

Beautiful fabric which I don't think we could get here .It goes so well with your neighbours tree ! My daughter has moved to Townsville and I now have an appreciation of why natural fibres are a must for you.

Carolyn said...

That's just beautiful, a glorious colour, and it looks like the perfect amount of swish too! :)

fabric epiphanies said...

I love fabric souvenirs. This is a great pattern to make from a sari.

Anonymous said...

These are both awesome! clothing manufacturer would like to hire you I think