Sunday 13 December 2020

Very fancy pyjamas Burda Style 11-2009-129 and 11-2009-131

 Every Christmas, I make a lot of pyjamas. Mostly I make these for my children, my nieces and my nephew, but more recently, adults in the family have been making noises about their exclusion from this tradition. I am flattered, and also mildly rebuking myself for making a rod for my own back. 

Very Important People, deserve beautiful pyjamas. Hence my abandoment of simple, quick to sew pjs for this Burda extravaganza in order to provide my mother with a suitable set of lounging garments. 


>

Doesn't look so fancy? Let me tell you, there is a lot of work in these.


 

See the piping, the hand stitched shawl collar with shoulder dart, the useless decorative pocket with more piping?

 This is a cleverly designed top. The garment is fastened with a single line of stitching below the bust line, yet covers everything with no gaposis -for a slim lady like my mother. The extended shoulder provides a reasonable sleeve, and as I've chosen to finish the sleeve hem with bias binding rather than turn in the edge as instructed by Burda, the finish at the armscye is not bulky.


 Technical drawing from https://burdastyle.ru

I used thread loops for the sash as I assume that one removes the sash on going to bed and no-one wants to lie on a lumpy 8 layer seam for fabric loops as per Burda's instructions. 



There is not much to say about the pj bottoms other than the contrast fabric hem is a double layer facing so that the pj's can be rolled up to make a cuff, that I have made the cuff a tiny bit more narrow than the leg of the pj's, hence the pleat, and that the waist drawstring is 1" wide elastic sewn to some rouleux cord made from the contrast fabric. I have used french seams at the sides and bound the crotch seam with bias binding for longevity and comfort. I have also topstitched the top of the pyjama waistband, keeping free of the elastic, so that the waistband does not roll.

I am entering this project in Pattern Review's stash contest, as everything in these pj's is over a year old, and although there is no way I would win this contest, I like to see how much I can sew from my stash.

I've used a quilting cotton for the main fabric, a rather nice quality one that has been lurking in my stash since 2009,  and another quilting cotton, about 2 years old for the self made piping. Instead of hot-to-wear fusible interfacing I've interlined the collar and facing with a percale cotton, over 50 years old. It is from the same sheet that I used for last year's family pj collection, but is the boring white bit.

The pj top says it takes 1.8 m of fabric, but that doesn't include the lining for the collar and facing or the sash, or the fabric for the piping, so say another 50cm for all of those together. (2.3m=2.5 yards)

The pj trousers' main fabric is cotton percale, with the double cuff - 2.15m in total per Burda (2.35 yards), no extra for the cuff is counted as my mother is petite and the trouser legs are a bit shorter than the pattern.



2 comments:

BarbaraShowell said...

These are special! Just beautiful. I hope they make your mom feel like using the good China for breakfast!

SewRuthie said...

Absolutely beautiful!