Wednesday, 23 January 2008

Pants, Simplicity 5220

Posted by PicasaI sewed quite a bit today, but not entirely on the SWAPs. My daughter had a friend over to spend the day, and wore her twist top and denim shorts (they may be worn out before the SWAP is done). The first words out of Friend's mouth, after the polite salutations - "Your outfit is so cool, where did you get it?" Daughter and I feel very clever as the answer returns "Mum made it for me". I pass the teenager test (friend passed this Rubicon 3 weeks ago and is 13). Friend has gone home with her own new twist top in the remains of the fabric - one more completely out of my stash ( I hope her Mum likes the top as well, I would also like to pass the other mothers' test). It is so nice to be able to whip up a nice top. I think I am a knit convert.

I worked a very little on my V2925 #2 pants. I did some stay stitching, sewed inner leg seams, put in the invisible zip with my new zipper foot - so easy, then finished the crotch seam. That's it. My excuse was that I want to make a short lining for these pants. I had forgotten to pre-wash the lining fabric, and after I hand washed it in very hot water, it had to dry, and I thought I could work a little on the Junior SWAP. The rest of my sewing was on the Junior SWAP. I traced and tissue adjusted all the pieces we will need from her wardrobe pattern Simplicity 5220.

  1. capri pants
  2. sleeveless woven top
  3. cheongsang top with mandarin collar
  4. straight skirt
I cut out capri pants in navy blue cotton spandex stretch woven. This is a 70 cm x 150cm remnant from the stash, bought on sale at Lindcraft before the crash, and at least 5 years old. I think I had vague ideas of making a skirt from it. It is a medium weight and quite stretchy. I think there must also be some synthetic in it, although it is not labeled as a blend. I took a lesson from my previous cotton lycra pants experience and cut to her measurements with no ease, according to the finished garment measurements printed on the pattern. I stabilized the crotch seam with selvage, and will also do this for the waist seam when I attach the facing. I cut the facing with the stretch vertically, and bound the edge with bias binding - see the picture. All going well with inner seam, invisible zip (interfaced underneath), even edges etc. I then fitted the pants - this pattern is a weird cut.
You can see from the photo that I still had to take in a lot on the sides. The blue chalk mark shows the edges of the front pants pieces. The strange thing to me is that it is mostly the back that needs taking in. My daughter is not hard to fit in pants. Usually I can just sew them straight up with no changes. She does not have a flat backside or skinny legs which might explain all the extra fabric at the back. I checked that I had traced the pattern correctly, and I had. This will be an interesting pattern to review.
I have sewn up the side seams and put a little trim on the split bottom legs - this is not on the pattern, but an added extra. I will post a photo of this when the pants are finished.

SWAP items completed (not including 2 possibles made before jan 1)- 2 definite tops, 3 further possible tops, one definite pants, one possible pants - 7 items (and one in the pipeline)

Junior items completed (including 2 items made before Jan1) 3, (and one in the pipeline)

No comments: