Saturday, 1 March 2008
I have been sewing, not posting since the middle of February.The top picture is of the Jalie sweetheart top. This is the pattern I bought from Julie at Timmel fabrics as a possible qualifying purchase for the SWAP. This is my first attempt for me, and I used fabric from a hemp/cotton knit coat that I bought 5 years ago and have worn only 2 or 3 times. There is less stretch than asked for in the pattern, and allowing for this, I think the fit straight from the pattern is amazingly good. I did not think this style would be suitable for work, but my husband disagrees. I am taking his advice and have cut out a 3/4 sleeve version from a rayon jersey knit purchased from Julie to wear as a winter work top. The neckline works very well under the V2925 jacket, and I am very pleased with this top. I am wearing it with the olive linen/viscose pants from V2925. I made a shorts lining for these per the review by Morzel on pattern review, and they sit more nicely than the caramel pair, (thank you Eva), but are a little too warm to wear at the moment, they too will be for my winter work wardrobe.
The second picture is of one of the tops from V2925 worn with a self drafted generous A line skirt made in an embroidered cotton denim from Kerryn's Fabric world. I like this fabric, and am pleased with the skirt. This is definitely not a work outfit, but more the sort of clothes I wear for my real life. I am increasingly tempted to move the SWAP in this direction.
I worked for a long time on the cream blouse pictured at the bottom of the post. This is from New Look 6945. I originally wanted to make a blouse with a collar to wear under the V2925 jacket. I drafted a flat peter pan type collar to fit this neckline, but I was not able to make it work - it looked too fussy with the other embellishment, so after attempt number 2, I removed it all together. I had intended to pipe the neckline with satin bias binding, but as I had clipped the seam allowance, decided that unpicking again was a risky endeavour, and have left the neckline unembellished. The blouse has pintucks on the front, sleeves and back. I ended up with 51 pin tucks on the back, as the pattern was too wide for me across the shoulders. The pin tucks did not take up as much fabric as I expected, and I had to cut off the button placket so that the front would fit. I used elastic loop tape insterted in the front seam, and a very narrow left button space to fix this problem. I am quite happy with the fit. The blouse does have a very generous 6 inch ease, and my failure to read this before cutting out the pattern lead me to large fitting adjustments at the waist darts and side seam (and the 51 pin tucks). I am wearing the V2925 pants in an olive linen viscose with this blouse as well. I do not actually like this blouse for work. Although the neckline is not terribly low, it does display far too much of me when I lean forward, which I need to do constantly at work. I am considering a stay at the bust, but am not really keen on the fiddling around. I may keep it to wear on desk work only days.