Saturday, 31 May 2008
Simplicity 9461 blouse #2
The design differences in this blouse relate to embellishment. As you can see, I have pintucked 5 tucks on either side of the centre front. (In both blouses I increased the overlap distance by 1.5cm, as I found the original overlap to be too narrow). As this number of pintucks does not take up very much fabric, I did this after cutting out the blouse, and have absorbed the small decrease in fabric width within the seam allowance. I also pintucked 3 tucks down the centre of each sleeve. I have a pintuck foot, but did not find it terrific on this fabric. I have previously used it numerous times on 100% cotton batiste and lawn with no trouble, and also on a mid weight woven stretch cotton. On the imperial batiste, for some reason the pintuck did not care to remain in the groove, and there is a bit of wandering. I did do this last night when I was a bit tired, so that could be part of the problem
The embroidery on this blouse was completed after cutting out and before construction so that there would be no knots on the inside. I have used 3 strands of DMC stranded cotton for the bullion rose buds, and 2 strands of green for the fly stitch calyx, stem stitch stem and detached chain stitch leaves. I was careful with the back, with all knots finishing in the bulk of the buds so that the knots and tails would not be visible through the outer fabric.
I have fastened the blouse with snaps just behind the buds on the centre placket, with the top snap just above the top bud so that it is not covered with the turn back of the facing. I would have preferred white or clear snaps, but silver was what I had, so there is a tiny amount of show through at the top snap.
Today I also made a tank/vest from the same wardrobe pattern to complete a 4 part mini wardrobe for the May patternreview contest. I will write up reviews tonight, and hope to post about this, and the other garments in the Travel SWAP tomorrow.