A journal of sewing, knitting and fabric collection.
Friday, 30 May 2008
Simplicity 9461 blouse
I finished the first Simplicity 9461 blouse for DD the younger today. This pattern is a girl's wardrobe pattern I have owned for around 6 years, but the blouse is the only garment I have made previously. Last time I made a size 7 and was pretty happy with the fit, so foolishly, when making a size 12, I expected the same outcome. I did alter the length to a size 14, as both my daughters are quite tall for their width, but I don't think this was necessary! Actually the only part of the fit I with which I am not happy is the waist shaping. This occurs only at the side seams, as there are no darts, and in the size 7, the shaped seam looks very feminine. This is not the case on a 10 and 3/4 year old in the size 12, and when I make the next version (already cut out, rice colour batiste) I will increase the waist curve at the side seam to give a less boxy look. The blouse is worn here with the Jalie 968 jeans style shorts that I made earlier this month, also for the travel wardrobe.
Here is a close up of the embroidery. This blouse is supposed to be easy wash, quick dry, but I could not resist a little embellishment. I have restrained myself from piping, and quite like the saddle stitch around the collar, fronts and sleeve hems that I have used as an alternative finish. I did also use french seams throughout the construction, except when attaching the sleeves. This will not make the blouse dry quickly, but I think french seams look much better in a translucent fabric like the pink imperial batiste that I have used here.