Sunday, 8 June 2008
Simplicity 9461 Blouse D #3, morphing and stash busting
This time I have added puffed sleeves to the blouse. In order to make these look appropriate, I needed to take in the shoulders a little. I could have cut it out smaller than the slightly extended shoulder of the design, but as my daughter is not getting any smaller, I chose to add a tuck across the finished shoulder seam. If the length is still O.K. next year, I can take this out if she grows width ways. Below is the inside view of the tuck.
This photo below shows how I morphed the sleeve to a puff sleeve. I folded the original sleeve piece in half length ways (you can see that I had already cut out the blouse before I decided on this change). I placed this piece 2 inches from the folded fabric, and cut straight across from the original pattern piece. The new sleeve is gathered top and bottom. I did cut the new sleeve with a slight downward curve at the centre to acommodate all this fabric without the cuff pulling up. The cuff is an interfaced and doubled over band, cut to the arm circumference + around 3cm of ease.
The photograph below shows a close up of the outside view of the shoulder tuck, and of the new collar shape. I drew a curve across the collar corner, and the center front point to give a different look to the neckline. In this photo you can see that I have used the bias binding finish for the inside back of the neckline again. I like this neat finish.