Thursday 14 August 2008

Cable socks

 

The Olympics are good for knitting progress. These are socks for my daughter, but they fit me pretty well, I may make another pair. I made my sirdar sock pattern skinnier by 4 stitches, and added a simple horseshoe cable from a stitch dictionary that is now back at the library, so I can't tell you the name of it. I have used patonyle 4 ply again, this time in a more subtle self striping wool, to show off the cables. I have also increased the area of the "reinforcing" stitch over the heel turn and in the toe, and made more of the foot in rib, so I almost have this pattern where I want it.
Last night I started on my last knitting UFO, and have nearly finished the neck of my son's Mr Men jumper. I ran out of grey, although I was sure I had half a ball somewhere, so the neck is now orange, like Mr Tickle. I hope to sew up this jumper tonight. I am guessing that we have about 1 month left of cold weather, as my garden is showing signs of spring.

I am quite taken with the 2 layer knitted beanie that Marji has just posted about, and was considering attempting this, but the pattern looks like double dutch to me at the moment. I may make a cable beanie instead so that I can watch TV at the same time. Go Aussie!

All this knitting is going on because sewing is in a very bad state. My Jalie 968 jeans are a fitting disaster, despite my muslin looking OK to me. The front is really badly oversized, and I cannot change it any further because of the pockets and the zip. I am really discouraged, as this fitting disaster comes almost straight after my Betzina blouse fitting slump. I am thinking hard about making children's clothes, but I really need new pants for my paid work in addition to jeans for my charity work, so it is back to the fitting struggle if I can find some Mojo.
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

a little sewing said...

sigh. I am sorry to hear about your loss of mojo.
The socks are really nice, though!!