Sunday, 17 August 2008

Jalie 2215 activewear pants

In the spirit of Barbara Eumondi of Australian Stitches fame re restoring one's mojo, this weekend, I started by giving myself only easy projects, involving no fitting. First I made some cushion covers, although I usually dislike and avoid home dec sewing, as I was pretty sure these would turn out.
Having some success here was good for my sewing motivation, so next I made 2 pairs of new dance pants for my daughters, who have grown considerably since I bought them new pants around 4 months ago. As both daughters are young adolescents blessed with slim figures inherited from their father and improved by 4-5 hours of dance classes per week, they are really easy to fit. I used the trousers from Jalie 2215. On the left is size 0, on the right size Q. I did not even need to alter the length. The fabric used is a cotton lycra knit from Fashionista Fabrics. It is described as a bottom weight knit, but is not particularly heavy. It has a 50% width way stretch, rather than the 70% called for in the pattern, but close fitting pants are a requirement for class, so this was not a problem. I did make the size Q first, thinking that if this turned out too tight for my older daughter, they could be worn by the younger, and I could make a larger pair for the next girl up, but the fit for both was very good.

This was enought success to encourage some more sewing for me - but nothing too hard. Now I do not tend to wear tight pants, or tracky daks, but although I do not look like a runner, I do run for fitness. I also do some yoga and a weights class. I decided to try these Jalie pants for these activities, as knowing full well that they look pretty bad does not remove the need for me to have something to cover myself for activewear!
I made several alterations. My first change was to use 2 layers of the same fabric for the pants. This makes them less revealing and more supportive, although they may be a bit too warm for running - I will have to try them to make sure. I cut a size S at the waist, U at the hips, as the pants have negative ease and the fabric is a little understretchy for the pattern, but also added 2 cm to the back center crotch seam length, and 1 cm to both the inner leg seams. I am pretty happy with the fit, but probably added too much to the leg seams. If the pants prove to shift and chafe during use, I will take them in a bit.
Next I can see that I need something to replace my daggy running event t shirts, or maybe I should look at the work pants and some jeans again.
Posted by Picasa

No comments: