I am further ahead with my sewing than my photos, but here are some thrilling construction shots of the evening dress
The bodice was a little touch and go at the draping stage. I do not have a dress form, and my FBA to the outer bodice front was a little dodgy on technique, so I held my breath whilst attaching the bodice drape to the silk organza interfacing layer. BWOF wanted me to use fusible interfacing, but I felt my dress deserved better insides.
The interfacing layer was much larger than the outer borders of the drape piece. The front bodice looked a bit like a balloon when I first sewed it. Had I not recently made some pleated front knit clothing from Burda, this would have bothered me, but knowing that pulled tight pleats look better than poofy ones, I could sew this piece without thinking about it too much.
I really wished for a dress form at this stage for some judicious ironing and steaming work, but had to pull the pleats into position whilst modelling the bodice section. Fortunately the shantung holds pleats nicely.
In spite of my adjustments to the toile, after I attached the skirt to the bodice there was a lot of fiddling with the centre back seam for fitting. I have a superb final fitting technique here. My daughter pins me into the dress, then marks each side of the seam with another set of pins.
She usually elicits promises for future items of clothing whilst carrying out this task, negotiation from a position of power with the pins seems quite effective.
This morning I got up at the crack of dawn for my last opportunity to use my sewing machine before we leave for Brisbane. I put in the zipper (second time after removing the bum bobble yesterday), the boning and the lining - first time ever for boning! I have not tried the dress on again yet, so am crossing my fingers that I do not have to make any adjustments - handsewing a hem in a hotel room is one thing, handsewing fitting adjustments another.