I was all set to sew with my Japanese fabric this weekend. In fact, I sewed a practice dress to almost completion during the week. On Saturday, I actually cleared off the entire dining table in order to cut out my fabric somewhere other than the floor. This is a very unusual occurence. I not only cut out the dress, and lining (cotton voile), but marked all the darts with tailor tacks. Then I made gorgeous purple piping from a luscious silk/cotton. I was about to clear the rather large remnants from the table when I thought the remaining fabric pieces were ideally suited to the making of a pursible or two.
I have not made a pursible before, nor do I have a pattern, but I have admired a lot on blogs too numerous to list.
I thought I would make a practice pursible for my niece, who is turning 5 next week.
I was quite happy with it, and put a little something inside for the birthday girl to find when she opens the present. However, then it occurred to me that the fabrics I had used for the pursible had possibilities as a birthday outfit.
That is what happened next. It may be a slightly garish colour combination, even for a 5 year old, but I think she can wear it as separates - I can see that little bishop top with jeans. I added the empire waist sash and keepers as the top looked rather art-smock without it. I have bonus points for using up the very last skerrick of the cherry print (last years pick by the daughters for summer pyjamas)
Finally I returned to the Japanese fabric dress.