Saturday, 6 March 2010
Burda Style Magazine 12-2009-115 trousers
After I made the first pair of these for my daughter, I rashly suggested a second pair with topstitching to show off the curved seams. She did not forget.
This pair fits better at the waist and yoke, because I redrew these pieces, as I needed to add darts to the last pair.
Unfortunately, I did not baste these and have my daughter try them on, thinking the last pair was a reasonably good fit. Naturally, due solely to this omission, the fabric (cotton twill from Michael's Fabrics) seems to have more give in it than the fabric used for the last pair (also cotton twill from Michael's, but a different type), and the dratted trousers are a little too big everywhere else.
I am hoping they shrink in the wash. The other colours I have in this twill have all shrunk a little after the pre-sewing wash, but only lengthways. I guess that means these will not shrink helpfully in the wash. :(
I am not planning to unpick all that topstitching to take them in.
The silver lining to this sizing issue was that I was able to squeeze myself into this pair. I did not in the least expect them to fit, and they don't, but every since BetsyV asked me if I thought this pattern might be a flattering shape for trouser resistant figures such as my own (misquoting Betsy freely here!)I have been wondering if this might be the case. I am happy to report that these trousers are surprisingly slimming on me, which makes me keen to cut out another pair in a more generous size. This pleasing trouser behaviour is just as well, as I managed to splash Chlorhexidine on my last decent pair of work trousers this week, and now have no stainless trousers. Disgraceful! You would think I could wash my hands without spilling things by now.
Here is my daughter being a Burda-like model. We are very pleased to have made the trousers unidentifiable in this shot.