I complain a lot about trousers. I was strongly tempted to just not post about these, but I am trying to keep an honest sewing journal.
I was thrilled with this pattern, BWOF 4-2009-118 in the first incantation. I made trouser jeans, and I like them very much. They fit nicely. I know this despite not having worn them since last August because I tried them on this morning after the photographs of the current version. Of course I had to alter the original pattern.
This pair is made from a twill fabric, I think it is cashmere cotton from Michael's fabrics. It reminds me of proper moleskin jackaroo trouser fabric (R.M.Williams gear is very popular in rural QLD). It is quite a heavy fabric, and I found the trousers had less give than the denim pair. Despite this, I had to take them in at the side seams below the high hip, as there was too much room across the backside.
Unfortunately, now the crotch is not quite long enough. I have altered the side seams several times, but cannot quite manage a happy medium between bubble butt and wedgie.
Scooping out the crutch did not help much, and there is no wriggle room at the waistband seam.
My daughter assures me that the photographs make this backside problem appear worse than it is in real life. Despite this kind comment I do not plan to wear these trousers unless I lose 5kg.
Overall this is a disappointing outcome, as the previous pocket disaster responded very well to Joy and Trena's suggestion to add a flap. I have kept the zipper underneath, as I was rather pleased with it. All the apparent backside width remaining, is, alas, genuine, and no longer a visual illusion.
I am having trouble starting to sew the next pair. Trousers are bad for my mojo.