Monday 15 November 2010

Small amount of Christmas sewing

I have just finished this little dress, which is doing double duty as a sample for a smocking class, and as a Christmas present for my niece, aged 3.
I am very pleased with it.

SAM_2617

I drafted the pattern myself, from the measurements of my niece. Normally I would not bother doing this, as it is so much easier to use someone else's drafting, but felt it was the best option for a class situation. I am hoping that no-one wants to make a different size - or at least that any different sizes will fit the range of my 8 nieces (they can pick assorted sizes between 9 months and 10 years, which is a lovely wide range)
The dress has an empire waist line, with the skirt pleated to the bodice width using North American smocking - a reverse lozenge pattern. I have made life easy for myself by using a fabric with a regular pattern of dots so that I did not have to mark a grid.

10 comments:

Vicki said...

That is just the cutest. She will love it for sure.

sewing spots said...

Very pretty and quite creative!

shams said...

lol! Well, that is adorable, but it also served to remind me about your seasons. I'm thinking, a summer dress for Christmas? Oh, right, Australia. :D

Very very cute!

Mary said...

That is lovely. How smart to use a dotted fabric when smocking!!

Little Hunting Creek said...

Very pretty!

Debra Martin said...

That little dress is just darling. I like the fun color combination.

Sharon said...

Very pretty dress and I love the smocking.

HeathersSphere said...

Such a festive and cute dress!

The Slapdash Sewist said...

Aw, adorable!

Gay McDonell said...

cute!