Wednesday, 17 November 2010

Vogue 1750 not-a-t-shirt.

After I made the BWOF shell top, I mendaciously said I would make another one with better sleeves. Here is what I did instead.
SDC10026

SAM_2618

SAM_2622

You may remember this pattern appearing recently as the source for the cover of my dress form, Genevieve.
Her cover fits her so well, that I forgot how many hand sewn extra darts were needed to achieve the close fit following the initial construction, and how much overlap there was at the back. I have a very optomistic memory when it comes to sewing.
I did use Genevieve to tweak the princess line seams at the front, but she has a bit of ease compared to me, and is completely unsquishy, so is not terribly useful for semi fitted designs that slip on over the head. In its original version, view D buttons up at the back, but I found the pattern fit me much better with a curvy back seam, so made a placket for the top few centimetres of the original button bands, and cut the rest off.

I could not do any post construction fitting, other than removing about 6cm from the centre back, as I used french seams for all the vertical seams, due to a sudden attack of technique acquisition determination. These were not too tricky over the curved seams, despite my trepidations, as I used a running stitch to ease the final seamline, and just ignored all the little pleats I was making with the first seam, which did not show at all once this seam was enclosed. I also hand stitched the hems again. The fabric was another small piece of Liberty lawn that has been lurking in my stash for a few years waiting for a remnant suitable pattern. There was about 80cm.

Once I tried on the blouse, I was strongly reminded that not only is the fabric rather old, but that I have owned this pattern for at least 10 years.

I really like this print, but it is a bit Mumsy combined with the non-current pattern. However, it looks much better tucked in, and will be beautifully cool to wear when it is too hot to wear a t-shirt.
SAM_2627 Fortunately, the sleeves (with full biceps adjustment) are hanging-up-the-washing friendly. How Mumsy is that!

9 comments:

neighbourhood.gal said...

I think making the neckline more open could help it to not look so mumsy. Maybe.

Gail said...

I think neighbourhoodgal is right. I always add a long heavy necklace (dinosaur design style) to lift any style that is too plain.

Carolyn said...

I think this is a very sweet top. Would look divine with a really feminine skirt or jeans.
And you are so right about hot weather; I need to make a whole bunch of tops just like this one... hanging-up-washing friendliness essential!

Uta said...

I think a top like that is a classic, neither fashionable nor old-fashioned. You could pair it with current accessories (a skinny scarf comes to mind) or a fashionable bottom (like one of those ruffled skirts I see around maybe?) if you want to look more fashionable. Personally, I think it's very nice as is.

Jane M said...

I too have this pattern languishing in my collection. If and when I get around to making it I will definitely reshape and lower the neckline....and I'm even past the mumsy stage:-)

RuthieK said...

Its pretty and agree that the high neckline is the mumsying bit of it, and maybe the sleeve length. A more scooped neck and cuter cap sleeves would still be cool but a bit more modern.

gwensews said...

That's a nice fitting top. That pattern could easily be a TNT, and redesigned over and over.

Victoria said...

Cute shirt!

Cennetta said...

Very nice top. I a great substitute for the classic t-shirt.