This allowed me to squeeze a nightie out of a scant 90cm of the silk satin.
I used BurdaStyle 11-2009-134, of which I have made many versions, with a few tweaks. First I did not cut the skirt on the bias, not having enough fabric. Second, I sewed a strip of the batiste to the hem of the skirt, to make it more nightie and less camisole.
I used a 3 thread rolled hem on the overlocker for this seam, having just read this technique in an old Australian Stitches magazine (vol #15 issue#9 - this is what I do when sorting out my sewing stuff, read old magazines instead of tidying...)
It turned out really well, with no visible seam allowance through the sheer batiste. I think this fabric shortage prompted feature looks planned, and am feeling rather clever in consequence. I have left the selvage as the hem, as the batiste is pre washed, and the selvage has not shrunk at all. My other
idea was to use the bias strip finishing the armscye as the central loop of a bow.I have been lining the bodice of all the other nightie/camisoles from this pattern, but did not do so for this version, just turned over the top to make a casing as is described in the pattern. I used the 3 thread rolled hem to finish all the edge seams before sewing, other than the vertical seams, for which I used French seams.
This is very luxurious. I have not used silk satin for lingerie previously, but am now thinking it is worthwhile.
I did not find any more summer weight purple fabric, so will have to change colours for my next project. It is my last day of holidays tomorrow, so I have big sewing plans.