Terrible thoughts of hypothermic children are haunting me whenever I think about our planned hiking in the Blue Mountains. Delving further into the polar-fleece-under-the-bed, I found a dusty piece of boyish blue Polartech200. Just the thing to relieve my nightmares.
I looked through my Burdas (no April 2011 yet) and found some lovely warm looking, well bundled, children playing in the snow. I suspect it was summer at 2000m elevation, but anyway, pattern 125 from January 2010 seemed just the trick - although a bit boring.
Machine embroidery stitches to the rescue. This started life as a robot, these being the current fad, but it seems to have morphed into an alien through adding eyebrows. Perhaps it is an alien robot.
I hope it passes the boy test. I have kept the colours very low tone, just in case it is a bit babyish....
Instead of zip exposed internal pockets (I may be slightly scarred by the last project, but am using the lack of 2 black zips of the same size as my excuse) I have added a nice easy Kangaroo pocket. These are good for boys who lose gloves (in a mild climate).
I have bound the pocket and hems in swimwear nylon lycra, matte side out, stretching slightly as I applied it for a bit of gather.
I lined the hood with hopefully the last bits of nasty thin Spotlight polar fleece, rather than using a facing, hoping for extra warmth and a more finished look.
I used 3mm elastic cord and stoppers, with the ends of the cord sewn inside the casing, rather than regular cord,to gather the hood, as these are less likely to catch on things than loose ends during adventurous use.
The jacket looks a little big to me, but this is not a bad thing, boys being prone to growth. The Burda jacket was for quilted fabric with fleece lining, so oversize was probably the plan.
I feel warmer already.