I fear I am repetitive. This is my the third version of this skirt, 02-2001-107.
The Burdaesque photograph where you cannot really see the skirt was the idea of my 14 year old photographer. She was feeling creative, who am I to argue?
I like the fit of the skirt, having worn version 1 at least twice a week since I made it in June. Version 2 suffered from fabric failure - I whipped it up in a brown crinkly mystery remnant with gold bits that I bought from Kerryn's Fabric World, wore it out the same evening to the opening of an Instutitute of which my husband is a board member, and the fabric split in 4 places by the end of the evening! The skirt was not even tight, so I was fairly cross about it.
Fortunately, I was wearing my knee length velvet coat over the top, as it was hideously cold in this 1890's building, so the fabric failure was only evident to me. Whew, that was a close one! I had planned to take photographs of the garment the next morning for the blog, but I'm sure you are glad that I thought better of it.
This version is a nod to my rather large pile of unsewn winter projects. A skirt from this fabric has been in my mental sewing list for the last 2or 3 winters. The fabric is a loose cotton and wool blend that I bought when Textilestudio was selling off their stock, and I love the colours and print, despite the unecessary attention drawing qualites of such a fabric over my behind. Note that I am not showing you a back view ;). Maybe I should wear my coat with this one too.
I have cleverly turned Burda's fashionable high wasited skirt into a very basic pattern by chopping off most of the height of the waist, and making the length just above the knee instead of mid calf. I have lined the skirt and not used a waist facing.
Once again, I attempted the contour elastic waistband from Threads, September 2008 for this skirt.
This time, I sewed a thinner, more flexible elastic to the seam allowance of the waistband seam, stretching it very slightly. The elastic is between the outer and lining fabrics. I then topstitched, stretching the elastic again.
The elastic is sewn down to the zipper tapes through both lining and outer fabric, using stab stitching. The elastic pulled too much when sewn to just the lining fabric (polycotton batiste).
I added an inner button tab, idea taken some years ago from Sue (her tabs are much neater and do not have crooked buttonholes), to help support the elastic and also to hide the v I had left at the top of the zipper due to topstitching too far.
This waist looks less bulky than my previous attempts, but I am not completely sold on this method. Maybe elastic waists are just not my cup of tea.
I am making the skirt again in a light denim. I might try a facing this time, just for a change.