There are many approaches to stash management. Long ago, I decided that fabric that one does not exactly like seems to multiply in the depths of the stash until you open the fabric cupboard, carefully holding back the overflowing top shelf, and realise with dismay that there is nothing to sew in there.
I am improving my stash management.
Only a few weeks ago I received an internet order containing disappointing thin, minimal recovery knits. One went out straight away as a trial version of a knit pattern, but the other was a lot more fun. I used it for sewing experimentation.
(Please note the garden hose in the photo, almost as good as a rubbish bin - photo taken before school in a big rush, we have quality pictures here)
I made this last night after dinner. It is inspired by a RTW knit skirt.
I did not draw a pattern, as I was just playing around.
I cut out a semi circle,with the stripes parallel to the diametre, then marked two points equidistant from the centre, each half of the waist width, then cut the sides at a pleasing to the eye angle from the outer waist mark to the bottom edge of the skirt. I folded the skirt in half to check symmetry, trimmed a bit, then cut the waist edge to a slight concave curve. I did not take photos because they would have been lousy, taken- inside dark ones.
The waist is two layers of the knit, cut so that the stripes on the inside match up with the stripes on the outside, as the colours show through the white spaces otherwise.
1 Sew skirt seams together - matching chevrons was the only part requiring a little care.
2 Sew short edge of waist pieces together
3 Sew waist piece to waist edge of skirt, stretching to fit (about 5% difference in measurement)
4. Cut strip of elastic to 2cm less than waist measurement, sew short ends together
5. Sew elastic to top edge of waist, right side, then turn elastic over to wrong side, turn waist edge over again and topstitch using 3 step zig zag.
6. Hem skirt.
My daughter is very pleased with her new skirt, and I do not really care that the fabric is likely to wear out after only a few washings, as my time investment in this project was very small.
Unfortunately, there was a garment sized piece of fabric left over. I struggled with this wastefulness on the way to the bin, and my tightwad nature won.
I made a tank top with fold over elastic trim for my older daughter to wear as loungewear/pjs.
It looks better in the photo than in real life.
I guess that was the problem with the fabric in the first place!
Hopefully that will help prevent the ugly fabric multiplication disease in the collection.