Tuesday 19 February 2013

Burda Style Trousers 02-2013-130

My daughter has just left home to study (and work) in Brisbane, several hundred kilometres away, and I have been making her a few things to help her out. This has also helped me out with my emptying nest issues, by allowing me to feel that she is still a little reliant on her mother. She has sent me these photos, being a kind blog supporting daughter, but I am unable to enlarge them due to the limitations of dropbox.

Bstyle 02-3013-130
The  my current Burda (February) has a smart wide legged trousers pattern, which suit her very well. They have deep pleats at the front, which are well supported by the front pockets including a centre front stay.
technical drawing from http://www.burdafashion.com
I was rather glad this was not my first pair of trousers, as unfortunately the construction directions were misleading and send you all over the magazine for what should be a simple garment.
Burda sends you to shorts 129 for the sewing instructions, then to trousers 143 for the pocket insertion, but as trousers 143 have a fly front zip, and both the shorts and trousers 130 have a side zip in the line drawing, these instructions are of limited use. There is a further instruction to visit their "helpful tip" for invisible zip insertion.  I moved the invisible zip to the centre back seam, to avoid side seam pocket bulk interaction with the zip, which has been known to cause unsightly bulging in my past sewing history, and feel this adaption has given a clean result to these rather sleek trousers.

Bstyle 02-2013-130b

My other adaptions were to use firmly stretched selvage to support the upper slant pocket piece (I am not an admirer of bagging pockets), and to fully line the trousers (cotton batiste). Fitting changes were to reduce the waist slightly and to add a little depth to the back crotch seam. The outer fabric is a beautifully flowing grey-green/black twill from Michael's Fabrics, 2011. I suspect it is a cotton/silk blend but am not entirely sure, as I received this fabric as part of a cotton bundle.





As these are luxuriously wide legged trousers, this has nicely used nearly 5m of stash fabric for the February stashbusting challenge ,which is to make something for someone you love. ......... Thanks for letting me know about the broken photo, hopefully it is fixed now.

14 comments:

pdiddly said...

I looked at this pattern as a possible sewing item, but didn't realise it used nearly 5m of fabic wow. Thanks for the tips will keep all in mind before sewing them in the future.

Andrea said...

I could only see the back picture, and the fit back there looks perfect. They are beautiful trousers. Even though your daughter is away, girls always need their moms in one way or another.

kbenco said...

Pdiddly, they only use this much fabric because of the lining - about 2.4 for the lining and outer each.

Joy said...

Beautifully fitting trousers. It must be nice to have mom's loving handiwork with you when you've just begun your newly independent life.

Steph A said...

They're beautiful! The style is gorgeous, as is the fit.

Paola said...

Nice trousers! Mmm, I'm starting to see some nice patterns from recent Burdas. I stopped my subscription about 18months ago after one too many sack dress patterns. Maybe it's time to get another subscription.

fabric epiphanies said...

We haven't got February on the shelves yet as they seem to coincide the release with the seasons. I have just bought November and agree that the styles do seem to be improving wearability wise. I am not sure I will buy into the wide leg pants trend but do remember making a pair when I was a similar age to your daughter. Great pants they really look lovely.

Janine said...

Lovely trousers. Unfortunately I would be inclined to add some very stretchy elastic attached to my apron strings and the pants. I am finding it hard to deal with my eldest about to leave home for a year abroad . Anyway good luck to your daughter - it is a very exciting time for her and I am sure promises of more lovely home made garments that are well fitted will draw her home on a regular basis.

T. Sedai said...

I really liked the look of these in the magazine, but your version has sold me completely. Love these! The style and fit look fantastic.

Karin said...

Cute! Of course just about anything would look good on your young and pretty daughter:-)
These are a useful addition to anyone's wardrobe.

Kelley said...

Fantastic trousers! AND, now that you're obviously going to be in Brisbane more, maybe we could arrange a little PR gathering one day? *grin*

Carolyn said...

Very very classy and elegant trousers. I'm thinking of you, with the nest emptying thing.. (virtual hug) I'm dreading that day myself.

velosews said...

They fit great from the back. You'll always be her Mum.

poppykettle said...

Wow. The pictures may be teeny tiny but I can still see what an awesome fit you managed to achieve here! I'm totally impressed and green with envy on that score. You have one lucky daughter :)