I have used some very old fabric for this skirt
To indulge my nostalgia here are my previous uses of the fabric (beautifully soft fine wale corduroy from Linda's Silver Needle, um about 1997...)
That is my currently quite grown-up university girl at her 3rd birthday party.. the corduroy smocked beautifully.
And here is my not quite so currently big 10 year old boy when he was 5 or so
I find it quite amusing to make myself a skirt from the remnants of my children's clothes.
I also found it interesting to make this excellent skirt again, differently. In version 1 and 2, I left the skirt unlined, as Burda instructs. In version 3, I underlined the skirt, which I found pretty effective, but not conducive to fitting. In my experience, no fabric fits quite the same as the last version of any given pattern.
This time, I wanted to line the skirt, but also allow for fitting at the side seams during construction. I also wanted a neat finish inside.
This is how I did it.
The tricky section of the lining is the partial front yoke.
I left the facing of the yoke in the fashion fabric, as Burda instructs, but did not sew all the way to the vertical joining seams when I was attaching the facing to the outer front yoke pieces. I then added the lining to the lower section of the front, joining at the yoke seam, but making sure that the seam was cut at the overlap of the yoke pieces so that I could turn it under neatly at the yoke seam.
I attached the side seams last - leaving the seam allowance free at the facing meant that I could then sew across the side seams with a neat join at the waist.
I understitched the facings as far as possible, and bound the facing with a remnant bias strip of duchess silk satin (those formal dress scraps are coming in handy) as I do not trust corduroy at all - every seam is either overlocked, bound or pinked and stitched with zig-zag.
I attached an inner button tab across the side seam zip to reduce strain on the opening during wear
This time, the buttoning front is decorative, not functional. To allow enough room to accomodate my waist/hip difference, I used an extra long zip in the side seam.
This skirt is not very exciting, but I am sure it will be a real workhorse garment - plain, comfortable, and goes with lots of things, an excellent start for next winter's wardrobe....
Stashbusting statistics, approx. 1m of corduroy, 1996, and approximately 1m of synthetic lining, maybe 1999,