Sunday 13 December 2020

Kwik Sew 2022 Men's boxers/pyjama shorts

 

 In the next instalment of Christmas pyjama sewing, are 3 pairs of pyjama shorts for my husband, my son, and my daughter's boyfriend. The boyfriend pyjamas were the scariest, because I have not made him anything before. 


 

Normally,  I find that sewing men's clothing is not scary, but a little dull. To ameliorate this situation, I usually chose an amusing-to-me fabric. The boyfriend shorts do not have this light relief, I'm playing it safe. He has a dull green stripe of a light twill cotton:  provenance A Fabric Place 

The patternKwik Sew 2022, which I have used many times before, but the pyjamas above have several variations from the original. 

I use the pattern for the knit version (B), but cut it out one size wider than the measurements of the recipient would indicate due to my use of woven fabrics, and then I add a 3/8'' seam allowance, as the 1/4'' included is far too skimpy for well finished seams. I then add a waistband and a drawstring with an elastic section.

I finish the leg seams with french seams and bind the crotch seam with bias binding.

 

 

 

 I construct the fly, then stitch it closed at the centre front as the males in my house prefer a faux fly for pyjamas.



The fabrics for my husband's and son's pyjamas are new purchases, with some whimsy. For my son, an extra long pair of shorts in a print of tiny tortises, and for my husband bees and honeycomb, as he is a hobbyist aparist. Both of these fabrics are quilting cottons.


 


 


2 comments:

SewRuthie said...

Very thoughtful makes. I really loves the bees and tortoises, subtle but full of whimsy.

Summer Flies said...

I love making my son boxers for pjs. I love the bees especially! Oh you must get fresh, beautiful honey from your husband's pursuit!