Friday 18 December 2020

Pyjama/lounging shorts BurdaStyle 11-2009-132

 Christmas sewing deadlines are approaching, and I am really enjoying the sewing. The extra push to finish these easy items is very motivating, and I feel quite productive.



This pyjama short pattern is another old favourite, Burda Style 11-2009-132

   technical drawing from BurdaStyle.com.ru

My standard alterations are to raise the waistline and add an internal waistband to both allow the shorts to sit higher on the waist and to allow for a nice 1" wide piece of elastic at the back. I also lengthen the legs a tad so that they sit at mid thigh, or lower. Sometimes I use the piped double hem, sometimes I don't.

This year I've gone wear-all-day-pyjama-friendly (you all know why) and have added lined patch pockets to the front of the pyjamas, in a phone friendly size. Only the girl's young women's pyjamas have these as my son claimed that pockets in his pyjamas would be superfluous. These shorts are again victims of my excessively tidied finishing techniques with French seams at the inner legs and bias bound Hong Kong seams at the outer leg seams and the crotch. They do look pretty inside.


 

I've only made four pairs of women's shorts this year,I like sewing pyjamas, but if the number required is too high, the pleasure decreases dramatically, so only one niece, my two daughters and my son's girl friend have made the female list.


 

The first pair is for one of my Melbourne nieces, who can't use soaps/bubble bath/body lotion from online shopping (all my other nieces have very similar un handmade presents this year-). I posted these to her 8 days ago, 2 days before the domestic postage Christmas deadline, and they haven't arrived yet. Post is really really slow this year.  


Cotton medium weight shirting, The Fabric Place, about 2012

I'm entering these items in the Fabric Stash Challenge at Pattern Review, hence the fabric provenance listed below. I would like some more room in my fabric collection for new fabric acquisition.

For my elder daughter


 

Quilting cotton- I think it was from Lincraft about 3 years ago

For my younger daughter

 

Cotton plaid from Fabric Mart, at least 5 years ago

 For my son's girlfriend

Quilting cottons, the contrast from JoAnne's Fabric Michigan USA 1997 - and the main fabric from Stitch Bliss, 2009

 

I've used Imperial Batiste for the pocket linings and some of the inner waistbands - from a roll purchased in 1996. 

I took some trouble with the pattern matching of the pockets, and am quite pleased with how it has turned out. No one in my family will notice this,but it is satisfying to me . I might have to look at these pyjamas on a person in the future, and I have saved myself pattern  misalignment annoyance that would irk me later on.



I'm hoping to use the last weekend before Christmas to make myself a new dress to wear at Christmas lunch. It will need to be quite roomy.....



No comments: