Monday 28 December 2020

Tessuti Apron - more Christmas Sewing

 The last thing I sewed for Christmas was for myself. Naturally my first thought was to sew myself a new and gorgeous frock, but given that I was to spend Christmas with only my immediate family to whom my default appearance is in gardening clothes or pyjamas, I have made myself a sensible apron instead.

Of course I could not just make an apron in any old pattern  I had used before, this is indulgent Christmas sewing for myself after all. I thought I'd try the Tessuti cross over apron, which is a free pattern.

                                                    technical sketch from https://blog.tessuti.com.au

I had some gift fabric to use, a very large remnant of IKEA canvas that a friend had given me last January, and I thought this pattern, with only a few seams, would be a good choice for the large print, and the simplicity of the pattern a good match with the heavy canvas.

I like this pattern. It uses a little more fabric than described to just cover my knees (I'm 165cm tall), but the construction is well described and simple, with a neat finish. I did tweak the front insertion of the straps a little, using hand basting to achieve a sharp corner, but otherwise made this apron exactly as the instructions told me to. That is very unlike me.


 


I am very pleased with the apron and it was put to good use for all our Christmas cooking. 

 




 

 

 


 

 


3 comments:

Sharon said...

Great use of that IKEA fabric and so good to hear good comments on the Tessuti apron as I have downloaded a copy as well.

Carol in Denver said...

Your clothes will be well protected with you new apron. I downloaded the pattern, too, and look forward to stitching one up soon.

katherine h said...

Great apron. I hope that you had a lovely Christmas with your family.