Monday, 3 March 2008

McCall's 5117

Today I finished this dress, a sleeveless version of McCall's5177. This is a trial version in a lightweight cotton print from Spotlight, the bodice is lined with the same fabric, the skirt is unlined, but I may make a petticoat for it. I made the dress sleeveless, as the pattern sleeves were incredibly tight, and I could not be bothered cutting out another pair for a house dress. I did not make any unusual alterations - I made a FBA, princess style seam, to the bodice and took in the centre back by 2cm at each side, tapering down to the waist. I took in the waist at the side seams, and I flared the skirt out at the hips after finding that the garment ease was less than the measurement printed on the pattern. I thought it looked a bit skimpy when I laid out the tissue pattern on the fabric. When I measured at the hips, the pattern was 3" less than the hip measurement + ease, so I think there is a printing error on the pattern.
I like the bodice of this dress, and the empire cut. I plan to make an autumn/winter version for the SWAP if I can find a suitable fabric.
Posted by Picasa

No comments: