Saturday 22 March 2008

SWAP knit tops

I made two tops for the SWAP after finishing the jacket. It was a great relief to have 2 instant gratification projects to work on.
 
This top is from V8305. It is made from a thin drapey rayon knit from Gorgeous Fabrics. It is much more stretchy than the 25% called for in the pattern, so I used pro tricot fusible knit interfacing from Sew Exciting Sewing supplies for the neck facing and sleeve hems with good results. I also topstitched the neck, but found this required great care, due to the fabric pulling, so will probably not do this again. I did not use a zipper at the back, and it is a bit tricky to put on. I am planning to made a dress from this pattern next, and am in two minds about the zipper.
 
This is another Jalie sweetheart top. It is made from a wool jersey from Gorgeous Fabrics, this has a slubby side, almost like terry towelling, which I had not expected, despite the description (note to self, read fabric descriptions very carefully before internet shopping). It is a beautiful fabric I have renamed the colour "raspberries with brown sugar" as it is not at all orange like "paprika", and I love it, but I do not think it is suitable for the V8305 dress, which was my original intention for the fabric. I have used it for this top, and embroidered more squiggles on my skirt in DMC shade 221 so that the top now matches this skirt and I can use it in the SWAP. Both of these tops look great under the V2925 jacket, so I am pleased with how my new revised SWAP is progressing. I may make a cardigan jacket from this fabric as a SWAP extra.
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I really like that Jalie top! You were the reason I bought that pattern, and I am going to make it several times still. Thanks for inspiration!