Friday 23 May 2008

Vogue 8379#2 and velvet ribbon wrap

 
I sewed for myself again this week. This is my second attempt at the vogue 8379 very easy wrap dress. I made version B, with longer sleeves, no collar, no facing and with fitting adjustments. The last version was a little short waisted. I made this one 2cm longer in the bodice, and did the same FBA. I would have liked to make it longer, but unfortunately I did not allow for the skinnier fabric, and ordered as if it was 150cm wide, so had only just enough for this length. This version has turned out a little too big, and I think this is due to the different stretch in this fabric. I really like the fabric. It is a sumptuous silk jersey knit from Gorgeous Fabrics. It arrived on Monday, and did not even hit the sewing table before I washed it (delicate wash in the machine) and cut it out. I used a jersey ball point needle #80. I used swimwear elastic in the neckline, folded over and double stitched, and used fold over elastic, turned under and topstitched, in the sleeve hems. The skirt hem is triple topstitched to help it to hang well. The shoulder seams and waist seam are stabilized with woven cotton selvage. I did make the ties longer, and the back neck a little lower. I cut the back out on the fold, and found it a little too wide, but the garment is very wearable, and feels incredibly comfortable to wear. I can see myself making many versions of this dress.
 
It is rather cool in the evenings here at the moment, so I knit a wrap to wear with the dress. I just happened to have 4 balls of Cleckheaton deluxe velvet ribbon in my yarn stash, and started this yesterday evening. I used 12mm needles, 40 odd stitches across, and garter stitch. The wrap is light, warm and has a lovely texture. I feel very productive today!
Tomorrow I need to work in the garden, but am also planning a bit of tedious mending, followed by a blouse for my daughter's travel swap, some work on a Mr Tickle jumper and maybe the beginnings of a new smocking project. I love staying home on the weekend.
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Ann Made Studio said...

You look great in this dress. From the picture I see it appears to fit you very well even though you say it is too big! The wrap finishes off the look very nicely!