I had a fabulous New Year's Day today, and naturally this involved some sewing. I made this shirt for my son, from the September 2008 BWOF. It is a short sleeved version of 143, without the pocket, and with the collar and stand from shirt 143.
My son picked out the fabric a few weeks ago. It is a quilting fabric, with a stylized Australian road map superimposed with old Holden cars. I love it, but it was difficult to line up the fabric, especially as I carefully cut it out after a glass of wine last night, and managed to offset the centre by 2cm whilst I was pattern matching. Note to self, cut out before the glass of wine. I was unable to cut out another front, as I only just bought enough fabric for one shirt - at $22 per metre for a cotton print, there was no budget for mistakes.
You may see that I have added an important town to the road map with the alphabet on my sewing machine. I cannot imagine why it wasn't there already!
I am not 100% happy with the pattern. The collar is very high, which I may change on the next version. Also,foolishly I did not measure the pattern pieces, and the shirt was far shorter than I expected. It is a size 110 cm, and has a back length of 40cm. This is a good 5cm shorter than the TopKids size 110cm shirt I made my son last time I sewed for him, and I had to add a false hem to the shirt - more pattern lining up! I did not have enough fabric to match the pattern at the back hem, but I don't think it looks too terrible.
I have started on a second version of this shirt with a longer body, and a skinnier collar stand. This next print is even more fun, lots of Australian lizards!