I am finishing off a few things before I start working on a June capsule for myself.
Here is my weeknight sewing this week.
The next two pairs of BWOF May 2009 pants 137 for my son have been very quick to sew, as there are only the normal number of pockets (still missing the coin pocket) and much less topstitching. I cut these out a fortnight ago, and having previously sewn the camo pants, the navy pairs went together without a hitch. I am becoming quite speedy at fly fronts and am busy patting myself on the back about it. Watch this space for a major sewing disaster......
The fabric is a left over navy cotton twill (gabardine) from last year's Michael's fabric bundle. I used the majority of this fabric for my super wide Marlene pants last September, and knew the largish scraps would make nice pants for my son. The fabric is beautifully soft. It was lovely to sew after the coarse canvas camo! I had to piece the remnants in order to squeeze in the full leg length of the trousers, but thought this made quite a pleasant topstitching feature on the lower leg of the trousers
I used different topstitching on each back pocket for fun. I am not thrilled with the back elastic treatment. This time I topstitched the upper border of the waistband after the elastic was applied, but think it could do with a few more rows of stitching. I will probably not do anything more to this pair, as my son mostly wears shirts and t shirts untucked, but am pondering a few ideas for a neater finish next time.
The lucky last scraps of the Michael's gabardine made a pair of shorts from the same pattern. I made these just below the knee in length, with no contrast topstitching, so that we can pretend they are school uniform shorts if necessary. He is modelling them with his uniform shirt this morning (this shirt is supposed to be worn tucked-in, with the official school shorts having a fully elastic band (ewww!)). As shorts, you can really see that these pants are too wide for my son, but he is not getting any smaller!