In July my daughters took part in a dance concert. Usually I do a lot of sewing for their concerts, but this year most costumes were purchased dance wear and t shirts, so all I needed to make were 2 pairs of denim shorts. (I also had to knit 3 green scarves from the nastiest itchy wool that ever came out of Spotlight, but fortunately have almost forgotten this experience)
I used Jalie 968. I made these last year for both daughters, and my older daughter is still wearing her size T jeans, so I started with this size for her shorts.
Unfortunately, although the jeans from 2008 remain well fitting, the shorts were too tight across the backside. I guess the denim in the jeans has stretched out!
Due to this unfortunate fitting problem, I put the first pair on my younger daughter, and was extremely pleased that they fit her nicely so that I did not have to do any adjusting to the completed pair of shorts. For my older daughter I made another pair. I again used size T, but added a wedge to the back and took in the waist a little at the centre back.They now fit nicely. I made a small cuff at the bottom of the shorts so that they would look different from her sister's shorts.
I had to keep the shorts fairly plain, as the costume requirements were plain denim with no embroidery except for plain white or brown topstitching, but I snuck in a little trim whilst keeping to the denim only rule. My older daughter has selvage trim across the back pockets, and my younger daughter has an asymmetrical white topstitching pattern. I was quite pleased with the shorts and they will be very useful as normal clothing this summer, which is not usually the case with dance costumes.