Wednesday 9 December 2009

More pyjamas, and answers to questions

Thank you for the kind comments about the pyjamas and gifts I have been sewing. I am amazed by the gift sewing some other people are doing - Carol tells me she is making shirts for all the blokes in her family, and other things for the women. I hope you are planning to post about these Carol. I will have a hard time making one shirt, which is on my list for my husband. His shirts take me forever!
Pyjamas and pillowcases are much quicker, provided I am not attempting any new techniques. Elizabeth, it is not your instructions that are the problem with my rolled hem, it is my fumblefingers. I am not good at just sewing samples until I get something right, this is much too structured and sensible a behaviour for developing a new skill for me. I much prefer to make half hearted attempts on non-public items, such as children's pyjamas, but I am in full production mode at the moment, so might practice again later. Much later :).
Here are the last two sets for the Melbourne clan. I have parcelled them up for posting today, which is a very pleasant feeling. I am enjoying the gift sewing, particularly all the fabric mix and matching, but it is good to have some things fully off my list.
SDC10302

SDC10299

Materials cost. I seem to have stopped using stash fabrics, which always happens as I just don't have enough fabric (he, he), and these latest sets are all new cotton fabrics from Stitch Bliss, between $14.95 and $22 per metre. 2 sets takes about 1.5 metres. I made some other items from these fabrics, so I cannot be exact. The piping/trim is self fabric, and the elastic in the back of the drawstrings is from my scrap pile. About $28 for the two sets. The singlets were purchased from Target.

I have developed Christmas craziness and somehow also knit this little cardigan for my 3 year old niece in the last week, and want to make her a dress from the background fabric.

SDC10300
Naturally this means I will need 2 more cardigans and dresses to give her sisters. These are not really Christmas presents, as I always give my nieces a new dress or outfit when I see them (once or twice a year), but I would like to have them ready in time for our visit down south - for in-law Christmas. This may not be possible.

Sewing elle asked me a few questions about the Burda style 11-2009 pyjama set. I agree, it is very kind of Burda to include summer pyjama sets in their winter magazine issues, for we Antipodeans (and maybe some South Americans). This is two years in a row! German heating must be very good.
I did not include the side gather, as I wanted the pyjamas 12/14 year old suitable. I did cut the lower bodice on the bias, as instructed in the magazine, but I don't think this is necessary, as there seemed plenty of ease. I am making another set, with the bodice cut on the straight, and will let you know if there are problems. Although I traced out the lower bodice back and front separately, as shown in the magazine, these pieces are very similar, and for the second top (pink and grey) I used the front lower bodice piece for both the front and back so that I could cut out as a double layer. I also traced out the 11-2009 shorts, as we n,eded to increase a size, but the pieces are indistinguishable between the two issues to me.

2 comments:

Mary Nanna said...

You are sooooo generous to be giving all your lovely free creative time to gifts for others. The knitted top is a particular labour of love and the daisy buttons inspired. As always, very very impressive.

ejvc said...

I too, love the cardigan, and wish I could both sew and knit like you. Are you sure you don't have a staff of elves helping you? My only source of superiority is my mastery of the rolled hemmer foot. A house built on sand, etc.