This blouse is one that caught my eye straight away when I first saw the March 2009 issue of Burda World of fashion, but not in a good way.
I really dislike the isolated gathers below the bust. The magazine photograph looked horrid and unflattering IMO.
(Photographs from Burdastyle website)
However, when my daughter and I were looking through the Burda magazines for SWAP ideas, she fancied the neck and placket on the line drawing. She asked, could I gather the whole front? She has good ideas. Normally, I make a small bust adjustment for her, gathering from above the bust instead worked nicely IMO, and was much less trouble.
Here is the blouse worn loose, over the 12-2009 trousers I already showed you.
I have used machine embroidery (mode3, #68 on Janome 6600) in pale grey thread on the neckline and placket. I have also tried to make the fastening snaps invisible from the right side, rather than use them as a decorative element as shown in the magazine.
I also used machine embroidery on the cuffs. Neither of us liked the ties in the magazine, so the cuff is just sewn in the round.
I like the blouse best worn tucked in.
White cotton shirting fabric, about 160cm wide I bought the end of a roll at a closing down sale for about $6 per meter. Call it $7
Pattern - the first use of this magazine, so $10.55
Thread, one roll of white, one roll of grey, $6
4 snaps, at $1 for 20 pairs, and a smidgeon of interfacing
Total, approximately $24.