I have been using up some small pieces of fabric that are lurking in my fabric stash. I just managed to squeeze out a pair of shorts, using Jalie 968 (jeans pattern), in a size t, for my 13 year old daughter.
I really enjoyed the machine embroidery on the back pocket, zip and hem lines.
As the fabric is a stretch woven cotton with lycra, I stabilized the waist and crotch seam lines with a selvage strip and used a walking foot for all of the construction, except the embroidery, where I used interfacing underneath. I bound the facing and made the fly shield from a quilting cotton print.
I had to make these shorts even shorter for my daughter than my fabric allowed, as she has recently realized that she has nice legs. There was some discussion about the likelihood that she might grow over summer, so should allow for this when determining appropriate length. I think I have pulled this off with my fast talking.
She was initially dubious about the lime green cotton stretch woven I dug out of the depths of my remnant pile, but you can see here that she was quite happy with the end result.