At the moment, the famous Me-Made-May has started, and although I signed up, I have decided I can't take photographs every day just at the moment, and as I already wear 99% hand made clothing, the photographs and making the outfit is the real challenge for me, so I am a real piker.
Instead I am hoping to join the Wellington Burda sew-a-long. I particularly appreciate the inclusiveness of this plan - any Burda pattern, just in May. I can do this! In fact there are a lot of sticky notes calling out to me from my big pile of magazines.
Despite this, I have a strange urge to hunt down a tie front blouse pattern from 09-2007 - a magazine I do not own. This is Treena's fault - see her nice blouse? I take no responsibility for my own pattern acquisitiveness ;)
Here is a pair of t shirts I made last weekend (April, so not eligible).
This is one of the things I love about Burda magazines. I had this beautiful print on a super stretchy, thin and slippery viscose knit (Cleggs, February 2013), that was a real indulgence for me, and after some deliberation, I decided that I needed a t shirt pattern without a neck binding, as I predicted major problems in applying it neatly. I didn't have enough fabric for a cowl neck or a tie neck (it was $$$$ fabric), so I went looking through my Burda stash for a bateau neck t shirt. I was sure I'd find one (or 3)
Burda 02-2009-108 sounded perfect, and on Pattern Review, nearly everyone was happy (I also love pattern review for problem pattern identification)
I made the practice version from a nice sturdy cotton lycra knit.
The neckline sat reasonably well, but I felt the viscose needed some recovery help, so I added lingerie elastic to the folded over neck.
This is not as heavy as clear elastic that I often use in necklines, and I am glad I used a more delicate elastic, as even with this, the neckline tends to ripple a little. Fortunately, this is not an issue once the t shirt is worn.
I used a 60 stretch needle, and a walking foot for the construction - with a narrow 3 step zig-zag stitch, and the coverstitch for the neck and hem.
I was able to squeeze long sleeves out of my 80cm of fabric by cutting them on the cross grain (4 way knit), a tiny bit of underarm piecing, and a cuff from the straight grain scraps.
This is a very bold print for me, but I love it.
Now I will look through my Burdas for something else to make for the sew-a-long.
Stashbusting statistics - practice t shirt eligible, about 1m of cotton lycra 2012, viscose knit not eligible