technical drawing from http://www.burdafashion.com
I started with hand sewing bias binding to the wrong sides of the seams, treating one side as the right side, then the other, but as my fabric is not terribly stretchy, (and despite making one size larger than usual after reading reviews of the pattern) the cardigan was very close fitting, I abandoned the bias binding trim after the shoulder and armscye seams due to worries about the lack of stretch in the seams making the cardigan unwearable.
I had used the coverstitch to topstitch the "right" sides of the earlier seams, and decided that the wrong side of the coverstitch could be considered a sporty embellishment for the dark side of the fabric, where it was less noticeable.
For the neck and front binding, I used left over polartech powderdry, which made a surprisingly stable edge (previously used for Jalie yoga pants). I hand sewed one folded side down as invisibly as possible.
For the hems, I used the rolled edge binding (credit to Sham's tutorial) previously used on the necklines of two of the wardrobe tops (my daughter is wearing one of these underneath the cardigan), with the neat edge on the light, more tidy seam side, and the rolled edge on the dark, more roughly finished side.
Fastening was the next issue.
I had considered snaps, but in keeping with the other outer garment in the wardrobe, ended up using double buttons fastened with elastic loops. (AKA hair elastics!), again this was my daughter's input and she sewed on the buttons whilst I started on my next project ;).
I am very pleased with this sewing experiment, and my daughter loves the cardigan.